…and there we have it. It’s 2017.
I forgot about the blog.
I had more on my plate than expected and I, like a mega business mogul, made the decision to let some things go. Sounds silly, right? That’s because it is.
I’ve missed this reflecting and writing and communicating and creating.
And the freedom it all brings.
Here’s to 2017 – to fresh starts and delicious eats.
Daily Prompt – Hopeful
Leap, jump, saltare
Saltare in padella, sauté!
Leap – Daily Post
Party central last night (went to a family gathering, ate, didn’t drink alcohol, stayed up until 2am, no FOMO over here) so lots of cups of caffeine are keeping me afloat today which is fine, but I’m in a wierd headspace, somehwere between cranky, gloomy and optimistic. Surely, writing will ease the pain! So here are my five essentials should I ever find myself on a deserted island.
- A copy of a large cook book like Giorgio Locatelli’s Made in Sicily or Marcella Hazan’s epic collection of Italian recipes, The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Why? To gaze on them lovingly, remember the good times and drift off into another world for a while. That, and it’d come in handy for a hard pilow or for a fire.
- An umbrella or similar. Why? I burn. And it’s shelter. Or I can use the fabric for something if it breaks.
- A knife. Why? To kill and prepare food, if needs be. I’m starting to feel more pessimistic as the list goes on. Oh no.
- Photos of my family and friends, wrapped in sticky back plastic, held together on some string and I’ll wear them around my kneck or waist or hang them up like a little clothes line.
- A blanket. Why? Gets cold at night, plus I can used it as a dress, a towel, a bed. It’s an all purpose item. That and I’ll walk around with it like Linus. Alone on the island? Probably. #allthefeels #Linus4eva
Five Items – Daily Post
It’s been a whole year of Emma Eats Italian. A whole year.
So much food, so little time.
Only Mina can sing it and honour it.
Take it away, Mina…
In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “This Is Your Song.”
walkin’ down the street
here she comes
Patti Smith – Gloria
Feeling energetic so I walked into work this morning. Sun shining, no rain and a journey downhill. Had somebody given me a coffee and pastry on route, marathon style, I would’ve been floating on air.
I’d realised I’d left the blog to one side as I was focusing on the day-to-day, and ended up adrift in a sea of photocopies…
Back to where I need to be. I’ve an update pending on that pasta bake as well as photos to post. Keep your eyes peeled. Back soon.
Encouraged by the progress and connections I’ve made from blogging 101, I’m starting to include a weekly photo feature. It not only shows you lovely readers what Italian foods I’ve been eating or experimenting with, but it also adds a much-needed visual element. So much about what we eat relies on visuals, how could I not post food pics? Part laziness, part “so hungry I can’t pause for a photo-op”, part forgetting where I’ve left the camera…
First photo: Grisbì biscuits
These delicate dome-shaped biscuits, with a variety of creamy fillings, coffee/espresso and cappuccino featured, but I’ve only opened one so far, the temptation to finish the entire pack is over-whelming. They are pleasantly addictive and a light alternative to dessert at the end of a meal. Buonissimi!
More photos to follow… stay tuned folks
A brief but lovely post where I share some great Italian inspired food blogs. Please take a look 🙂
Nutella & Hazelnut Ice-Cream (no churn) by the Kiwi Cook
Easy Homemade Nutella by Daily Dose of Greens
Zuchetti with Lemon Parsley Prawns with Pangratato by Lipsmackingly Delicious
Arancini from Sicily – new year comfort food, by Rhubarb Fool
Regional Delights – Mozzarella di Bufala, by Rachel, on Craving Mad