Party central last night (went to a family gathering, ate, didn’t drink alcohol, stayed up until 2am, no FOMO over here) so lots of cups of caffeine are keeping me afloat today which is fine, but I’m in a wierd headspace, somehwere between cranky, gloomy and optimistic. Surely, writing will ease the pain! So here are my five essentials should I ever find myself on a deserted island.
- A copy of a large cook book like Giorgio Locatelli’s Made in Sicily or Marcella Hazan’s epic collection of Italian recipes, The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Why? To gaze on them lovingly, remember the good times and drift off into another world for a while. That, and it’d come in handy for a hard pilow or for a fire.
- An umbrella or similar. Why? I burn. And it’s shelter. Or I can use the fabric for something if it breaks.
- A knife. Why? To kill and prepare food, if needs be. I’m starting to feel more pessimistic as the list goes on. Oh no.
- Photos of my family and friends, wrapped in sticky back plastic, held together on some string and I’ll wear them around my kneck or waist or hang them up like a little clothes line.
- A blanket. Why? Gets cold at night, plus I can used it as a dress, a towel, a bed. It’s an all purpose item. That and I’ll walk around with it like Linus. Alone on the island? Probably. #allthefeels #Linus4eva
Five Items – Daily Post